Sunday, June 8, 2008

Richard III Passage

"The lights burn blue. It is now dead midnight.
Cold fearful drops stand on my trembling flesh.
What do I fear? Myself? There’s none else by.
Richard loves Richard; that is, I am I.
Is there a murderer here? No. Yes, I am.
Then fly! What, from myself? Great reason. Why:
Lest I revenge. Myself upon myself?
Alack, I love myself. Wherefore? For any good
That I myself have done unto myself?
O no, alas, I rather hate myself
For hateful deeds committed by myself.
I am a villain."
(Act V. scene v.134–145)
After Richard III is visited by the ghosts of his victims, he delivers a speech that reveals his uncertainty and self-doubt. He awakens from his dream filled with fear. His physical state is altered so much that "cold fearful drops" of sweat are on his "trembling chest." This is, perhaps, the first time that the reader finds him vulnerable. With a series of questions, Richard tries to justify his fear. He argues with himself, coming to the ultimate conclusion that he is the most dangerous person he could be with. "Is there a murderer here?" His first response is "No." He then says, "Yes, I am." Fear tightens its grip and Richard thinks about fleeing. In his confusion, he must decipher that he is thinking about fleeing from himself. This causes one to think that there are forces of evil that rest within Richard that even he is not capable of controlling. He questions whether or not he should seek vengeance on himself. Realizing that he loves himself too much ("Alack, I love myself"), he decides that he hates himself "for hateful deeds" that he committed. The last line, "I am a villain" is not a new piece of knowledge to the reader. This is asserted to emphasize Richard's decision. It is also said because Richard is trying to convince himself that he is capable of what he is doing. He says that he is a villain in order to instill confidence in himself for his actions.

No comments: