Sunday, March 30, 2008

Cranly vs. Stephen

As Cranly and Stephen discuss beliefs and morality, I find Stephen's character to be ever more intriguing. I also find Joyce's diction to be very clever. On page 268, Cranly says, "Freedom!...But you are not free enough yet to commit a sacrilege. Tell me, would you rob?"
Stephen replies in saying, "It would pain me as much to do so as to be robbed."

This short snippet of the conversation expresses an opinion on religion. One can see that Joyce is not very fond of organized religion because possessing freedom implies that one will sin. Just people one is free from the constraints of religion does not mean that one will commit crimes or injustice. Stephen is a prime example of a man with strong moral beliefs who may or may not believe in Jesus, God, the Virgin Mary. I completely agree that a person's lack of religious devotion does not label him/her a heathen or bad person. I do not think that he/she is waiting to be saved or going to purgatory. A person can disbelieve and still accomplish great things. Stephen shows us that it is possible to extend beyond expectation or accepted norms in order to reach a goal.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I too think that an organized religion does not define the type of a person someone is. If someone full-heartedly believed in a certain faith, I think that is wonderful; however, just because someone does not identify with a specific group does not make them an evil person either. I think it is the quality, integrity and heart of the person that clarifies whether or not they are going to be able to accomplish great and promising things.
Stephen is perfect example of what a person can achieve even if they are not comfortable aligning with the church.