Sunday, March 30, 2008

Mama Angelou

Woman Work

by Maya Angelou

I've got the children to tend
The clothes to mend
The floor to mop
The food to shop
Then the chicken to fry
The baby to dry
I got company to feed
The garden to weed
I've got shirts to press
The tots to dress
The can to be cut
I gotta clean up this hut
Then see about the sick
And the cotton to pick.
Shine on me, sunshine
Rain on me, rain cool my brow again.
Storm, blow me from here

With your fiercest wind
Let me float across the sky'
Til I can rest again.
Fall gently, snowflakes
Cover me with white
Cold icy kisses and
Let me rest tonight.
Sun, rain, curving sky
Mountain, oceans, leaf and stone

Star shine, moon glow
You're all that I can call my own.





The speaker is a woman, most likely a mother, who is responsible for many duties. The diction of "got" lets the reader know that the daily chores of this woman are an obligation. It does not say that she wants to do these things. It is interesting that the title uses a singular "woman" as opposed to "women". This has a completely different connotation than the plural. The plural implies that this is work for all women, whether it is meant as sarcastic or not. The singular title could be a command although there is no comma. It could be read as a command in that the speaker feels that she is instructed or expected to work consistantly.



The assonance and consonance of the "I" and "th" appears in the entireity of the beginning of the poem. This repetition is used to show the monotony of her schedule. A shift occurs, after a cotton picking allusion to slavery, when she begins to speak of nature. The alliteration is more prevalent within each line and less frequent at the beginning of each stanza. There is more passion when she begins to describe the healing power of nature. Nature, it seems, is a relief from the stress and bustle of her life. "Rest" is mentioned, which can be viewed literally and eternally. This double meaning shows how the speaker desires an escape from reality.



The rhythm of the poem in the beginnning reads like a list. If read aloud, one would expect a tone of irritation. The rhythm changes with the mention of nature. It becomes more enthusiastic, passion enhanced, and loud. One envisions a booming voice exclaiming, "Shine on me, sunshine." The fact that the pieces of nature are addressed shows that the speaker feels a closeness to nature. The second part of the poem appears almost hymn-like.



As I read this poem, I envision the hardship of this woman. I understand the "role" that is described, a role that she is expected to fulfill. The poem alludes to slavery, which, although, I can not relate to, makes me feel even more for the speaker. I want her to be able to rest in the ground and find eternal peace. I can relate to having a busy lifestyle and possessing the desire to escape

No comments: